Saturday, August 25, 2012

I love to see other people now.


So the game is (more or less) live now. I’m waiting for Lira to join me in the game, so I’m taking a quick second to write something that happened to me earlier today. I was playing an alt and I saw a vendor in the middle of this big cave. In real life that would be odd, but in an mmo I didn’t think much of it. [minor spoiler alert] It turns out that talking to this “vendor” starts a dynamic event. Anyway, I nearly died, but I got to a (somewhat) safe area at the last minute.

While I was trying to figure out what to do, I saw a group of about four players headed my way. I fought my way out to them and together we completed the event (even though we needed several rezzes from each other to make it work.

This moment stuck out to me because it was so different from most other mmos. I loved having a “trap” that I could spring or not. I loved getting rewarded with something interesting just for exploring, and most of all I loved the feeling of being excited to see other players. Rather than being my competition, they were my saviors. It was just another small thing that Arenanet has done very right with the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment